We are crazy for fennel! Not only does it have a unique flavor but it does wonders for your skin! It’s antiseptic and diuretic, which helps to alleviate puffiness in your skin and decrease oil. So when we came across this light and delicious recipe for Shaved Fennel, Apple and Crispy Quinoa we just had to share it! Give it a try…
1/2 cup uncooked red quinoa
1 cup veggie broth (low sodium is fine if preferred)
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed
1 honeycrisp apple
2 cups mixed greens, rinsed and dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1. To cook the quinoa, add the veggie broth to a pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until all the veggie broth has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad. Place the greens on a platter. Using the mandoline, thinly slice the fennel bulb and apple. Drizzle a little lemon juice on top of the apple slices so they don’t brown. Decorate the greens with the fennel and apple and set aside.
3. Next, make the dressing by whisking together the greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, and honey. Transfer the yogurt mixture into a salad dressing shaker and add 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
4. Once the quinoa is done cooking, open the pot lid and let rest for 2 minutes.
5. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a medium sauté pan. Set over medium-high heat. Once the oil has heated, add the quinoa to the pan and spread out across the surface. Refrain from stirring as this will allow the quinoa to crisp up. After 2-3 minutes, give the quinoa a stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt. Remove from heat.
6. Using a spoon, sprinkled the quinoa on top of the sliced fennel and apple. Drizzle dressing on top and serve.
Source: A Thought For Food