I have been home from my wedding week in Hawaii for 24 hours and I have already been to two grocery stores looking for Peach Orange Guava juice to mix into my soda water. I should probably catch the next flight to Maui (sans Hurricane Lane) to get some…
But seriously, how can I begin to describe this last week? I’ll start with the facts. We invited 40 people to share in our special day on the island of Maui. Since both Micah and I had been married before, we decided to go off the grid for this one and host a killer dinner and cocktail party. No dance floor. No father-daughter dance. No wedding party. Just food, feelings, and one flying cockroach that soared out of the trees and onto Therese’s head. We named him Gerald. Amidst all of the many beautiful moments, these are a few of my favorites.
1. Witnessing Micah and I’s dads officiate the most heartfelt and hilarious ceremony. Two 60-somethings in white linen pants and sky blue linen shirts never looked and sounded better.
2. Putting on my dress in my hotel room by myself. Taking 45 minutes to get dressed, touch up my makeup, and be alone grounded me in a really cool way before the wedding.
3. Taking a moment to read my vows alone in my room. The emotion that took over caused my voice to crack, which led to a 3 minute coughing attack. I freaked out and then laughed hysterically by myself. I was not gonna go down that way! Let’s just say I took one big breathe before saying that line during the ceremony…
4. Snorkeling with Sea Turtles. This was one of the most majestic moments of my life. To know that while I’m writing this blog, there is a turtle in Hawaii that I fell in love with, coming up for air every few minutes, just doing his thing. The ocean is an incredible place.
5. Watching Micah and I’s family hug after the ceremony in a big circle. After Micah and I walked away, our families met at the end of the aisle and got into a huddle. Our families connected and these organic moments made my weekend even more special.
And now, I’ll end with some emotion. Life has been a whirlwind over the last 3 years. To say that I never thought I could be this happy is nothing short of the truth. To me, love has always been complex and hard, in ways. For the first time in my life, I can say that this love is freedom. It has brought a peace to my life that I never thought was possible. Because once you know you’ve met your person…whom you will wholeheartedly devote your life to, life becomes easy. Life becomes a day-in-day-out opportunity to show you how incredibly rare and special you are and I’m not sure there’s an easier gig than that.
I cannot wait to share more of these moments soon! Studio 1208 served as the best story-tellers during this unforgettable day. Check out our insta-stories for my day-of beauty products, my Maui wedding skin-prep, and of course, our favorite photos from the day!